If you are currently suffering from back pain, neck pain, headaches, whiplash, sciatica, or even fibromyalgia, it may be time to visit your chiropractor. However, what do you do if you don’t have a chiropractor? Here are some tips to help choose the chiropractor that will best suit your needs.
What Things Should You Look For In A Chiropractor?
1) The Right “feel” Of The OfficeEvery medical professional that has his/her own office, will create a unique atmosphere for their patients. It is very important that when you first visit an office, it “feels” right to you. You should feel comfortable with the doctor as well as their staff. The doctor should be friendly and willing to answer any and all of your questions. The staff should also be accommodating to your needs and questions. The doctor’s personality should provide you with the emotional support that you need in your medical provider.
2) Respect For YouThere is nothing worse than to go to a medical office and to be “greeted” behind the glass by a disrespectful office staff that seems annoyed that you are “bothering” them. When you choose a medical provider, you are doing just thatchoosing them. Therefore, it is totally uncalled for that anyone, even the doctor, would treat you in a condescending or disrespectful manner. There are many different Chiropractic offices, and every office will have it’s own “personality”. However, you should always be treated with respect and kindness, and if you don’t, you should find a different provider. Your life is too valuable to have the added stress of going to a place that doesn’t treat you well.
3) Respect For Your TimeYou’re time is one of the most valuable things that you havewhen it is gone, you can’t get it back. So, when choosing your chiropractor, you should find an office that is respectful of your time. Now, we all know that in a medical office, things can sometimes get behind if a patient needs extra treatment or has a lot of questions. However, it is important that the doctor and staff keep you informed when these delays occur. There is nothing more frustrating than to wait and wait for your doctor, and not even get an apology when they are late. Your time needs to be respected just like theirs. Also, it is important to choose an office that tries to prevent these delays by proper scheduling. Moreover, if an office really respects you as a patient, they will respect your time as well. And that will show by the way they are able to quickly and efficiently get you through your visit.
4) Respect For Your Well BeingWhen you are searching for your Chiropractor, you are looking for a knowledgeable practitioner, not just a “salesman”. Part of the uniqueness of Chiropractic is teaching your patients about their problems and how chiropractic can fix it. Because Chiropractic is an alternative treatment, many people do not know exactly how it works and what kind of problems it can fix. However, there is a difference between “teaching” and “convincingly selling”. You don’t want to ever feel pressured by what your Chiropractor is telling you. Because your Chiropractor should have your well-being as their utmost priority, they should be there to teach you about their findings, then give you your options. You should never feel pressured to do any treatment that you are not comfortable with. However, because Chiropractic does not use medication, the results can sometimes take a little longer to get your desired outcome. Because of that, you should understand that a respectable practitioner will give you their best recommendations as to what will get you your desired results. Therefore, you must understand that if you don’t follow their recommendations fully, you might not get the results you were hoping. Nonetheless, your Chiropractor should always work with you and give you options of your treatment goals.
5) Recommendations and Referrals From Family and FriendsThe highest compliment a Chiropractor can get, is the referral of friends and family. Therefore, if you talk to someone that speaks highly of a Chiropractor, chances are, they are a good office. When you are making the choice of a Chiropractor for the first time, ask your friends and family who they recommend. Chances are, you might find that they go to a Chiropractor that they really recommend.
Now that you have 5 qualities to look for in your chiropractor, here are some warning signs to look for too. These are some things that should make you avoid a Chiropractor if he/she exhibits them. These are also some signs of a chiropractor who is less concerned about your health and is more concerned about monetary gain.
* Avoid a chiropractor who tries to pressure you or requires you to sign up for a long-term treatment plan. Like I said before, Chiropractic care can take time, however it is always your choice as to what result you want to get. So the Chiropractor should always respect your decision.
* Avoid a Chiropractor who discourages you from seeking and using other alternative and preventative treatments, such as acupuncture or massage therapy. Your Chiropractor should have your health as their utmost priority, therefore they should be opened to other treatments to help improve your condition.
* Avoid a Chiropractor who uses scare tactics to convince you to commit to a treatment plan. Also, be wary of a doctor that is making claims that even you believe are not feasible.
In summary, those are the some things to look for (and not look for) when choosing a chiropractor. Good luck in your research and I hope you find a Chiropractor that treats you the way you deserve to be treated.